I am attempting to maintain a blog filled with random bits from my life and family as well as my adventures in crafting.

Monday, February 24, 2014

BBTB2 - Use a Cricut Cut as a Stencil



Hello!!! Happy Monday to all of you!!! 
Today over at BBTB2 we have a super fun challenge starting!  
Now you know I LOVE my Cricut and making cards, but one of the other things I love my Cricut for is to make other types of crafts including - Glass Etching!  Have you ever tried it before?  Well you can use your Cricut to create stencils for just this type of project!  

And that is what the challenge is - to use a Cricut cut as a Stencil.  

You can create any type of project, I decided to etch "Treats!" on this fun glass jar I picked up from Tai Pan for $2.  The cut comes from Birthday Bash, it's one of the phrases you can find on that cart.
I have pictures to show you the different steps I follow when I etch.

1.  Cut the stencil out on some vinyl and position it on whatever glass you are using.

2. Using a paint brush, cover the stencil with a good coating of the Armour Etch.  You can buy this at any craft store or online.  I bought mine at Hobby Lobby and used a 40% coupon.  Let it sit for 30 minutes or so then wipe it off with a paper towel - be sure to follow the directions on the bottle and take the precautions like wearing gloves and such :)  Peel off the vinyl and just use some water to rinse off any remaining "paste" (don't know what else to call it).  Dry off the glass and you're good to go!!!

3. My favorite step - Fill It Up!
Actually, my favorite step is eating the treats inside :)
Honestly though, this is one of the things I do for birthday gifts for neighbors and friends.  I just tie a cute little ribbon or some tulle around it and make a tag to add and it's good to go!  
But I think I am keeping this one for myself :)

I hope you are able to join us over at BBTB2 this week and be sure to check out all the amazing projects done by the Design Team!!!

Thanks for checkin' in!!!

14 comments:

  1. We were on the same wave length Emily! lol I love your treat container! So cute and so practical because we need chocolate while we get crafty!! lol Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fab Emily! Love the etched glass, such a great idea. I must try and locate some etch again as I couldn't find it in the Uk last time I looked,but that was a long time ago and maybe we've moved forward since then! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - I should do what you do and have some ready to go for gifts

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your etching...I am scared to do it myself....~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun project! I love glass etching where possible. It always add that special touch to a project.
    Great job on this treat jar!
    Lena
    xxx
    Lena’s Creations

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this -- Ireally want to etch glass have not trieed it yet, but I have the product. Thanks for the inspiration. Have a great day
    DIANA L.
    dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a pretty jar !!! Beautiful project !!

    Hugs,
    Mayra
    Mayrasdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How stinken cute! Love this idea-I haven't etched glass in a long time..need to do this! TFS!
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your treat jar. It is so fabulous. Thanks for sharing the instructions on how you did this. I agree...fabulous gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your treat jar is wonderful Emily!!! I love it!! I haven't etched anything in a good while. Now I've got to make me a treat jar!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so awesome!! I love how the etching looks!! I need to try this!! It's fabulous!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic idea Emily! I am going to have to give the glass etching a try it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your idea! This would be cute for Teacher Appreciation Week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This turned out fabulous, I really like that image you used! I have glass etched a couple of times, I really need to pull out my stuff and try it again!!

    ReplyDelete